IIFYM Friendly Recipe- Skinny Skillet Lasagna
Total Time- 38 minutes
This is an easy skinny skillet lasagna recipe that is not only healthy but takes just 30 minutes to make in one pot or pan!It doesn’t get better than that!
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey or protein of your choice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz dry farfalle pasta (bow-tie) pasta (white, gluten-free or whole wheat)
- 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes (I recommend San Marzano or fire-roasted tomatoes)
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2-1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2/3 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese for garnish optional
- sprinkle of parmesan cheese for garnish optional
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds to a minute or until fragrant.
Add in the ground meat and cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes, making sure to crumble and break down into small pieces as it cooks; drain excess fat.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add zucchini if using. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon of basil.
Stir in pasta and water or chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cover pan with lid and reduce heat.
Remove cover and stir pasta every 3-4 minutes so pasta does not stick to the pan. Add more water or broth as needed if liquid is evaporating too much.
Cook until pasta is tender (around 14-15 minutes). If adding spinach, stir in after 10 minutes and cover.
Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella and cottage cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Top with dollops of ricotta cheese and cover pan for an additional 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley, basil and parmesan cheese if desired.
Total servings- 5
Protein- 40 grams
Fat- 9 grams
Carbs- 47 grams
Fiber- 4 grams
Recipe Credit- lifemadesweeter.com