IIFYM Recipe- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Total Time- 1 hour
Spaghetti Squash Casserole is an easy recipe that is sure to please the entire family. It is cheesy, low- carb, and filled with some high protein ground turkey to keep you feeling full. All in all, if you are looking for a way to sneak in some more veggies into your diet, this is it! I hope you enjoy!
- 1 ~2lb spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with italian spices, drained
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella or provolone cheese (reduce fat if desired)
- chopped parsley/ basil
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place in a shallow baking dish (cut side facing down) then pour 1/2 cup water into the dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the flesh of the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
- Once cooked and cooled down, pull spaghetti squash apart using a fork and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the turkey, onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper. Cook until the meat is browned and vegetables are tender, roughly 8 minutes.
- Add the drained tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Let cook until the liquid from tomatoes has cooked away then add the squash. Stir in 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese
- Lightly coat a deep 8×8 baking dish or a 2 qt casserole dish with cooking spray. Scoop the squash mixture into the dish trying to leave as much liquid out as possible.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese on. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts, roughly 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and/or basil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Protein: 20 grams
Fat: 10 grams
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Recipe Credit: www.wellplated.com