IIFYM Recipe- Irish Beef Stew
IIFYM Friendly Recipe- Irish Beef Stew
Total Time: ~ 2 hours
Well it is that time of year. The weather is getting colder which means it is time for some healthy comfort foods! Today’s meal prep recipe is a macro friendly Irish Beef Stew. This recipe will give you 6 total servings of perfectly tender beef to serve over some buttery, garlic mashed potatoes. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 pound stew meat (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 diced onion
- 1 leek, sliced thinly
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 cup beef broth
- 2 TBSP thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 TBSP melted butter (get a reduced fat butter to cut back on total fat)
- 2 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
For the mashed potatoes:
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 TBSP butter (reduced fat if desired)
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the mashed potatoes, place the potatoes and garlic in a large pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil until tender (about 15-20 minutes). Drain, and return to pot.
- Stir in the half and half and the butter. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth. Set aside
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper to taste. Add beef to your pot and cook until it is evenly brown (about 2-3 minutes). Set aside
- Add garlic, onion, leek and carrots to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally until tender (about 3-4 minutes). Stir in the tomato paste until well combined.
- Whisk in the beef broth, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and beef, season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer until beef is tender (about 90 minutes).
- In a small bowl, combine butter and flour. Add mixture to the pot until thickened (about 2-3 minutes). Stir in your frozen peas until heated through.
- Serve immediately or place into your storage containers with the mashed potatoes to eat later on!
Calories per serving: 451
Protein: 29.3 grams
Carbs: 41.5 grams
Fat: 18.1 grams
Fiber: 4.5 grams