IIFYM Recipe- -Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Total Time- 1 hour
Have you been craving Mexican lately? If so, this Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the perfect meal prep recipe for you to try out this week. Its high protein, high fiber, and low on fat and carbs. With 8 servings total, you will have your meals set for the week. Give it a try and hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 15.25 oz can reduced sodium whole corn kernels, drained
- 15 oz can reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz can Ro*Tel Original diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 low carb, high fiber whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup reduced fat mild shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with a nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium stock pot, bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Add the chicken and bay leaves, simmer covered for 15 minutes flipping the chicken at the halfway mark.
- Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the broth and set on a plate to cool. Shred the chicken and set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 6-8 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Stir in the corn, Ro*Tel, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Spread a thin layer (about 1/4 cup) of the red enchilada sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Begin building the casserole by layering 2 tortillas, half of the chicken mixture, and 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat by layering 2 more tortillas, 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, the remaining chicken mixture, and 1/3 cup cheese. Finish by layering the remaining 2 tortillas, remaining enchilada sauce, and remaining cheese. Sprinkle the diced Roma tomatoes over the cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and then top with the fresh cilantro
Protein: 41 grams
Fat: 10 grams
Carbs: 46 grams
Fiber: 16 grams